For years, health care professionals believed creating excellence in the emergency departments was next to impossible. And it's true that too many patients, too few resources, and too few hours in the day add up to big challenges. Yet where there's a will—and a team of passionate, caring staff members—there's most definitely a way.
By implementing proven, evidence-based tools and techniques, leaders can overcome the excuses and create an ED where employees and physicians want to work and patients want to receive care. That's true whether your ED is big or small, inner city or rural, or any combination of the above.
First, the book builds a strong case for service. Then it provides three foundational tactics—Rounding for Outcomes, Discharge Phone Calls, and Bedside Reports—that ensure almost immediate results. Finally, it offers additional advanced tactics that will help you accelerate and sustain success.
Excellence in the Emergency Department will help you:
Stephanie Baker, RN, MBA, CEN
- Implement tactics that provide measurable results within 90 to 180 days
- Work smarter and more efficiently with the team you have in place right now
- Reduce the incidence of patients who leave without being seen (LWOBS) for better service and higher financial impact
- Demonstrate the financial impact of tools and tactics in order to justify and acquire more resources
- Overcome resistance and encourage staff buy-in by answering tough questions, explaining the "Why" and helping people connect the dots
- Deal with low performers as you move the department forward
- Communicate and work more effectively with ancillary and support departments
- Reconnect your staff members (and yourself) to that all-important sense of passion and purpose
Fantasy or Reality?
SECTION 1 - "Why Change?"
Chapter 1: The Resistance Reality
Chapter 2: Building the Case for Service
Chapter 3: Connecting the Dots
SECTION 2 - Three "Must Have" Tactics to Move Your ED in 90 Days
Chapter 4: Rounding for Outcomes
Chapter 5: Discharge Phone Calls
Chapter 6; Bedside Shift Report
SECTION 3 - Advanced Tactics to Accelerate and Sustain Success
Chapter 7: Key Words at Key Times
Chapter 8: Hourly Rounding with Individualized Patient Care in the ED
Chapter 9: Interdepartmental Communication Tools
No ED Left Behind
About the Author